Wednesday, February 15, 2006

History of VinEducation

VinEducation began in Alta, Utah as Women Who Wine, a tasting group of women foodies, ski bums, and the wine deprived transplants to a place with beautiful snow and mountains, but archaic wine laws. Four years later, Women Who Wine moved to the Napa Valley (Mecca!). Now, nearly swimming in the elixir of life, we involved women winemakers, more chefs, viticulturalists... and then, Men! At first, we required them to wear skirts to enter a women's tasting group, but later opted for a name change!

As I pursued my interest in the professional world of wine, I decided that my focus would have to include food - my original passion and career focus, and would necessarily include an element of education since I am a consummate learner and almost professional student! Hence, VinEducation.

It is very important to me that VinEducation represents the best of my career, so far, and that it continues to evolve into something I want to represent me. The food I prepare reflects my classical training and background in 2-3 star restaurant kitchens as well as my Italian-American heritage. The wines I select are chosen for their intrinsic quality (not their "ratings") - I favor small production wines, hands-on vineyard management and winemaking techniques, and good value (this does not always mean inexpensive).

I like food, wine, and people with character and charisma. And, as important as anything else I've mentioned, I like to have fun while I'm doing this! Food and wine are the basis for conviviality. They are tools for enjoyment, to be understood and welcomed into everyday life - not to be over-analyzed and picked apart.

"The pleasures of eating and drinking operate on so many levels that hard and fast rules simply make no sense." - Oz Clark

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home